Followers

Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

And Here's What You Learned Today

I stumbled across this great link this morning while surfing the net. It's called "25 Everyday Things You Never Knew Had Names." I'll highlight some of my favorite ones.

1) Do you know what a "tittle" is? No, it's not a small boob. It is the "dot" over an "i" or "j".

2) Remember using a pencil? (Although I still like to use one every once in awhile!) Remember erasing so much that you ripped the paper? Wait. Maybe that was only me and my elementary math. Anyway, the metal band around the top of the pencil is called a "ferrule", pronounced "fer-uhl".




3) Okay, the next fun word is "Gynecomastia". Let's look at this word, shall we? The first part of the word, "gyne" might lead you to think of the female reproductive organs. And that would be leading you down the wrong path. This DOES have to do with the body, though. It is the abnormal over-development of the breasts in a man. Think MAN BOOBS. Or MOOBS.


4) If you are not barefoot at this moment then take off your socks and shoes and look at your toes. Is your second toe taller than your big toe? That's called "Morton's Toe".

NOT MY FOOT!
Apparently Morton is popular besides just making salt.


'Course, if you've been a follower of mine for awhile, you would have known all about Morton's Toe because you read about it here.

5) Another name for when your stomach growls is called "Wamble".


Or you could be feelings "wambly", i.e. nauseated or your stomach is rolling. But you wouldn't be having this problem.

6) "Rectal Tenesmus". Gosh I hate when that happens. Don't you? What am I talking about? It's feeling like incomplete defecation, you know, like you're full of, er, shit. Or, some of it, anyway.

7) Don't know if this was ever a clue on a crossword puzzle, but "aglet" is the term of the plastic or metal sheath that covers the tip of a shoelace. Inquiring minds wanted to know.


8) How big is YOUR "philtrum"? Some people have prominent ones, others - not so much. What am I referring to? The groove that runs under your nose to your upper lip.


And so, children, that is your lesson for today. Your welcome.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

who knew...way interesting :)

Donna said...

Thanks for the lessons! Neat info...Hahaaa
hughugs

Betty Manousos said...

glad i learned some new things today! lol! #6/#6
that man with gynekomastia (that's a greek word) cracks me up!

betty xx

Betty Manousos said...

I meant to say #3!

Brian Miller said...

did you just say i was full of shit? thats not very nice you know...um yeah i just learned a lot...smiles.

Unknown said...

Way more informative than my New Word Wednesday...I'm jealous!

Country Gal said...

Great info thanx for the lesson !

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

How do I get an apple to my fav prof? Moobs!

Teresa said...

Great information to know. LOL - moobs... Unfortunately, I know too many men with this condition.

Gail said...

Why were there no snake facts???

I liked them all!

Valerie said...

Out of all the words I only knew 'ferrule' ... gonna save the others in case they crop up in my daily crossword puzzles.

Fun post, Pat.

wenn said...

I only know philtrum.

Lynda said...

I went to that link - - - very interesting. Thanks for more education.