Followers

Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

I've Become My Mother

I grew up in a house that had a pantry in the kitchen. It was the size of a small closet; opening the door revealed a few shelves and some storage room on the floor.

It was one of my mother's pet peeves if we left the pantry door open. She was constantly yelling, "SHUT THE PANTRY DOOR!"

Us kids had no idea what was the big deal.

IF you sat in one of the two recliners in our living room situated near our front window, AND glanced into the kitchen which was located across the hall from the living room, you COULD see the pantry door open. FURTHERMORE, my mother was of the belief that people walking by, or coming from church (GOD FORBID) would see our pantry door open! What shame!

In truth, the possibility of this even happening was slim. The front window had a large awning that came down quite low.  The only time it was even remotely possible to see in our house was if it were evening, the drapes were open, all lights were on, and the pantry was open. Even then I think you would have had to have "Go-Go-Gadget" Eyes!



Now I have a pantry of my own. It's a nice walk in one with a "ta-da" light that turns on as soon as I walk in. But guess what folks?

It bothers me when the damn pantry door is open!

We live on a fairly busy street. I'm not saying the cars would be able to see inside my house.

But there is a nice bike/walking path about 20 feet from my sliding doors. I keep my blinds open during the day. If my kitchen light is on, and the pantry door is open?

Yep! I'm bothered by it!

Yet I know I'm crazy!

Here's a photo of the pantry door open taken right in my kitchen. You can really see things.




Okay now this is a photo of the pantry door open taken from my dining room. Much better and a little less distinguishable, yes?


So I'm guessing by the time I add opened blinds, glass doors, and 30 feet, there won't be much to see.

And if it weren't raining out there right now, I'd be tempted to go outside and take a picture of my kitchen from the path.

But I can't help it. Every time I shut that pantry door, I will think of my Mom.

God help me I've become my mother. And it really isn't so bad. You were right, Mom!

15 comments:

Liz A. said...

The argument can be made that it looks neater with the door closed. Quieting the room visually. Don't know why it matters what the random passerby thinks, though. Most random passersby are probably thinking about their own stuff rather than that house with an open pantry door.

Maude Lynn said...

For me, it's chairs that haven't been pushed back to the table. Used to drive my mom nuts. Now, it drives ME nuts!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the laugh! I like you just like you are, and if your mom is to credit so be it!

JoJo said...

My OCD would make me want the door closed whether or not anyone could see it.

Brian Miller said...

smiles on always remembering her by the pantry door...hmm...my mom was a teacher...and i am now a teacher...maybe i am becoming mine? smiles....i dont remember any quirks like that with my mom...my wife on the other hand...would want the pantry closed...ha...

Lynda said...

As I am adding years to myself, it seems that I cherish order and tidiness more - - though you wouldn't know it more often than not if you walked in my door. However, it does seem to make me more emotionally peaceful if doors are closed and counters cleaned off.

Lynn said...

My dad could not stand things in walkways. I think he feared not being able to get out in case of fire in our old wooden farmhouse. Now I am the very same way.

We had one house where you could see straight into the bathroom from the front door. Silly design! I finally attached a spring to it so that the bathroom door always closed quickly behind a person. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" was taken literally in our house.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

My mom always said "a place for everything and everything in its place"...she hated to see anything not put away. When we started RVing full time, I really had to follow her advice (finally). She would have been so proud. And now I've gotten used to it, just like you have!

Christine said...

I am very much like my mom in many ways. As for pantry doors, mine must be closed unless you are in it. For my kids it will be the kitchen cupboards to go with the pantry. Why? Why don't kids close cupboard doors after taking out a glass?? (My mom used to say the same thing.)

Anonymous said...

In time we all become our mother.

Anonymous said...

In time we all become our mother.

Gail said...

I always got, "Don't slam that screen door!" I grew up and installed screen doors just so I can slam them when ever I pass through.

Valerie said...

Great post, Pat, made me smile.

I was brought up in a house with a pantry but I can't remember there being an issue over the door. I know it was always closed when I went inside cos that's when I helped myself to goodies, like condensed milk and other forbidden goodies. I think during the war people were fussy about pantries especially those who had stuff in there that was bought on the black market. They wouldn't want the neighbours catching sight of it, would they?

labbie1 said...

Ditto on the pantry in our house! I wonder if our mother's knew each other. LOL

I am totally DROOLING over that pantry!!!! And you KNOW why! ;) Wow!

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

I think we had an automatic closing mechanism on our pantry door when we were kids. Cause you can bet we never would have remembered to close it ourselves!